Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and Other Concerns) *****/10


I knew off Mindy Kaling as the cute, funny girl from The Office. Her book confirmed that she is both cute and funny. I would have liked this book better if I had not read it so close to Tina Fey's Bossypants. It simply was not as funny. Also, Mindy Kaling is not fat, and while she never calls herself fat, she does refer to her body type as chubby, and spend a fair amount of time talking about body types in general. I hate when celebrities do this. It is supposed to a funny, self-deprecating thing to do for the famous who are not scarry thin, and sometimes for those who are, to talk about that they are curvy and proud, or could stand to lose a few, or can eat like a trucker... I suppose there are some that might take comfort in that fact that even famous people have body issues, but I feel vapid enough when I think about my own body issues (I have lost a fair amount of weight (50lbs!) since returning from the Peace Corps, but my nail beds still suck.) and just ridiculous when I spend time giving attention to a celebrity worrying about it. I may as well go buy a Cosmo and write to Mary-Kate for diet advise.
Favorite Part: The pictures of her as a child and the title. In the past I did often worry, and sometimes still do, that everyone is hanging out without me. Then I remember that it is cold outside and I have a heated throw and I like sleeping and who is everyone anyway?

I had a customer ask me to pick out a novel for her and she would buy it. Excited, I returned with The Thirteenth Tale , Her Fearful Symmetry ****** , and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society .

She bought all three.

love, C

1 comment:

  1. I commented once, but you know, I am not the brightest light on the tree. I mean, when it comes to commenting. On blogs. I have no trouble commenting in real life, you know, with my mouth. Perhaps you've noticed? I know Madeline has...Anyway...Thanks for the 13th Tale. I am totally enjoying it. You are the best BAM employee I know.
    love, ma

    ReplyDelete