Monday, January 9, 2012

Wishful Drinking

I first watched Star Wars in 6th grade, home sick from school. I was with my dad and we watched all three original episodes. Then I watched them again the next day. Princess Leia was beautiful and strong. She was mouthy and regal and didn't look like a barbie. Her memoirs were as delightful. In Wishful Drinking Shockaholic, tells us about her life, as much as she can remember. Electroshock therapy as well as more than a few bad habits have eroded some of her memories, but she lays those that remain out bare for the delight of her readers. Despite all her flaws, you can feel the love she has in her daughter and the joy she takes from their life together.
My favorite quote
"Let's recap: Eddie and Debbie have me. I grow up, sort of, and I marry Paul Simon. Now Paul is a short, Jewish singer. Eddie Fisher is a short, Jewish singer. My mother makes a blueprint, and I follow it to the letter."
I wish Paul Simon would notice how I brush the hair from my forehead.
Incidentally, my sister, a 6th grader, is home sick today, and I get to be here with her. We are watching Lord of the Rings, my other favorite epic. Although Arwen is hardly mouthy enough, and looks far too much like a barbie. Give me Carrie Fisher in a gold bikini!

Shockaholic and Wishful Drinking

1 comment:

  1. I disagree. Arwen is not barbie. She is an elf. Barbie may be a great great great great great great decendent of some kind from the Elves, but the elves are not Barbie. And why would Arwen need to sassy. She is 300 some years old. She knows things. And she did stand up to her father, kinda sassy I would say, as he was THE KING OF ALL ELVES. Then she faded, of course after Virgil died, but who wouldn't? She wandered around in the trees, it wasn't like she was sitting on her arse watching soaps and eating bon bons. Anyay. Sorry you are sick.

    ReplyDelete